Thursday, June 18, 2009

Interesting quotes in this article about "new legislation"

A Florida congressman who has proposed requiring candidates for the presidency to document their eligibility for the office under the "natural born citizen" requirements of the U.S. Constitution says it's not intended to affect President Obama's current term, but he wants to avoid similar issues in the future.

"The last election is over," Rep. Bill Posey, R-Fla., said ...

"There's zero chance … of him being removed from office. I've talked to high ranking members of our judiciary committee who say, 'You know, this is a matter of standing, this is why the Supremes won't take this up, and the Supreme Court exists to protect individuals or groups of individuals from having their rights trampled and there's not anybody that has the proper standing.'"
...
"It's prospective. It's not personal. It's not debating the last election. The last election is over. I don't think that outcome is going to change. Personally, I think it's futile to go there, but looking toward the future I think it would be reckless if we do not do everything we could to eliminate problems like that in the future. And that's why I filed the bill," he said.
...
The first reporter that called me up opened the conversation asking why I filed 'that racist bill.' I'm trying to see that the Constitution is heretofore followed, end of subject, period. Nothing more, nothing less. ...

original article here
(WorldNetDaily)

No comments: